[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ok.. where am I going wrong

 Bart:

I think you missed something here. If he measures the voltage drop across
the resistor (17V), then by E/R=I the current through the resistor and
therefore the rest of the series circuit is 42.5 Amps; regardless of the
resistance/impedance of the other circuit components. If the .4 ohm
resistor were the only thing in the circuit it would draw 240/.4=600 Amps
and the fuse would indeed blow!

Michael:

Depending on the exact type of fuse, it may well hold on a 140% overload
for some time (minutes to hours). There are several types of 'fast-blow'
fuses and the only way to be sure is to look at the time/current curves for
the particular one you're using. Also, how precise is your resistor value
and how accurate is your volt meter?

- Mike

> Michael,
> For current flow, you must have both sides of the AC joined together. The
> current flows back and forth from one leg to the other through the
> components in
> your circuit. The components are all in series forming a circuit "loop".
The