[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: streamer hit

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net>
>
> As a teen, I tinkered with two or three little table top coils powered by
> automobile ignition coils.  Power input was under 100 Watts.  The little
> coils probably ran at rather high frequency due to the small secondary
> diameter and short winding length.  They gave a bright purple brush
> discharge and I often drew sparks off them up to 3 or 4 inches with a metal
> object (key, metal ruler, etc.).  I repeated this act at least 100 times
> over the course of a year or two with no I'll effects now or then (I'm 36).
>
> In 1983 I was bitten by a 10 Watt UHF transceiver I was bench testing.  My
> knuckle happened to brush against the shell of a coax connector on a faulty
> cable while the transmitter was keyed.  It felt like a bee sting--raised a
> small blister too!  This incident permanently colored my attitude about RF
> shock, (and about electricity in general) and I've had little desire to be
> within striking range of an operating Tesla coil ever since.
>
> Greg
>
> ----------

This thread started a separate communication between myself and Kristian
Ukkonnen concerning the E field and RF generated from an operating TC. My
assertion was that although you could shield the electromagnetic radiation
from an operating x-ray tube it would be difficult to shield the observer from
the RF of a TC. My conclusion was that the best possible protection would be
the use of the inverse square law (field intensity diminishes as the square of
the distance.) Kristian countered (and prbably rightly so!) that the ground
plane transmission is probably more significant than the air transmission and
therefore the decrease is linear rather than quadratic.

This raises the question: Is there any way to shield the body from the ground
plane RF field? Would non-conductive sole boots be of any use or would they
merely act like capacitors and light up the whole body? Any takers? I know
that some you you guys are RF guru's, what do you think?

My experience with RF is limited to the radiobiological effects and I don't
have the savvy to make the kind of prediction about the ground plane
transmission that this would require.

Kristian suggested that the effects experienced by Michael may have been
associated with noxious gasses such as O3 (ozone) or NOX's, which might be
possible, however I think the gasses are more commonly related to lung damage
and less commonly to the neurological effects like numbness, pain or tingling.
These findings are common with RF exposure and even with high intensity E
fields. Everybody knows about the hazards of x-rays, but it's because of the
hundreds of tragedies which occured in the early part of this century. Let's
not let that happen in the TC arena. Keep a healthy respect for the power in
you hands or it will burn you.

A note of caution is probably in order to all coilers; in radiology, we keep
everybody clear of the field. We use multiple layers of shielding if we have
to be in the room. If distance is your only protection from RF, it's wise to
get a lot of it. I'll defer the effectiveness about insulated lineman's boots
to others with that understanding, but I will be waiting for the answer
myself.

Bryan Kaufman, MD, MS
Radiologist