[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Ok.. where am I going wrong

*chuckle* nice jab.
Here is the total setup.
You are correct by the way, all lines have breakers and fuses on both
hot lines.
1) I installed new 50A service breakers for this run. This is so I can use
   the welder as a welder. What a concept.
2) This is carried via 8AWG to a 60A Service disconnect, which has
   50A fast fuses installed. THe distance from the breaker to the disconnect
   is approximately 2 ft.
3) This is in turn connected to a 30A service disconnect that supplies
   my coiling setup. Again 8AWG to the cut-off (less than one foot.)
   This box has 30A fast fuses. Then runs via 10AWG to the other side
   of the garage where my coiling stuff is. Run is about 55ft. Run in
   EMT (if I take a strike on that feed, I want it to go to ground!,
   actually, all of this new wiring is in EMT)
4) From the outlet to the control box, again 10AWG.
5) Pass through a pair of 20A noise filters, wired in reverse.
6) On to a 30A DPDT relay (so I break both sides of the 220V) This is
activated
   by a deadman arrangement. I intend to wire in interlocks when I add a
   rotary some time in the future.
7) one leg passes directly to the lug on the pig.
8) one leg passes to a 50A recptical for a 225amp Lincon welder.
9) The other side of the receptical is wired to the 0.4 ohm resistor
10) finally, the resistor is connected to the other lug of the pig, to
complete
    the circut.

I measured the 17V on the 90A setting on the welder-which I would expect to
correspond to around 20A draw, based on a linear scale. (since 225A is 50A
mains draw)

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net