[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Q - A Brain Teaser

"Come again? The voltage is plotted on a linear scale. The
proportional voltage drop of total voltage on the first cycle is
different to that on the next. In absolute terms, the voltage drop is
definitely the same isn't it? That's what the scope showed anyway.

Malcolm"

	I haven't observed such behavior here, and the waveform of resonant
decay has always looked exponential.  However, in Zennek's classic book
on wireless telegraphy he talks about a "linear decay", which would be
very close to what you have said.  If the arc resistance increases as
the current drops, this could happen, I guess, but haven't noticed it
here.  Of course, pretty reluctant to bring a scope near a working coil,
so have just observed the secondary voltage as picked up with a probe
several feet away.

Ed