[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spinning pipes

In a message dated 11/18/98 1:13:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 >...I designed and built a squirl-cage RSG using ~6" x 1/2" copper pipe.
 >There are two disks with 8 pipes. Since the rotational force would be
 >great at high rpm, I built this with as tight a tolerance as possible.
 >The fixed electrodes are 5/8" spheres connected to a 5" x 1/2" bolt.

 Bart;

 Perhaps I mised this; What material did you use to make the two disks?

 Thanks,

 Daniel

Bart,

I checked out your drawing.  Now I understand how you made this  -  and I like
it.  I can envision having someone machine the two discs (out of maybe 3/8"
polycarbonate) with them clamped together so the holes would line up exactly.
Make the holes just the right size so 1.0" copper pipe would slide in with a
tight fit.  Then what, epoxy them in place?  I am guessing that the axle the
two discs are mounted on is supported by small bearing blocks on each side -
then what?  Is it belt driven?  I wonder how the copper pipes would hold up to
15 kv at 8 to 10 kva?  A new spark gap like this might make a good winter
project.

Ed Sonderman