[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Not enough pimary inductance?

"It is interesting to know that you have used a separate coil in series
with
the primary for tuning.  Didn't Tesla also do this?  I think it is
mentioned
in his notes.

The last part, I agree with you.  I have done a lot of work on tuning on
my
system.  At low power, I can tell the difference between one turn and
even one
half turn.  At high power, it is different.  The tap sensitivity is just
not
the same at say 8 kva compared to 1 kva.  I know the Q of my secondary
should
be high.  I used all the right materials, good construction methods,
etc.
These details may be way more important for small, low power systems
than the
high power variety.

Ed Sonderman"

	Not sure whether Tesla mentioned tuning the primary with a separate
coil, but am sure he would have thought of it and have done so if
convenient.  As for the secondary Q, I suspect the loaded Q is so low
that the unloaded Q hardly matters at all.  As the power input and the
streamer length increase the effective resistive loading must increase.

Ed