[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary coil forms

    Usually, somewhere around the Headstock there is a way to change the
Gear Ratio, and that will change the speed to a more comfortable level, if
it has one.  On some of the older lathes you might need to open up the
bottom of the cabnet under, or where the motor is to do this.  The usually
use gears that can be shifted, or a pully you can change the tension on the
belt with, and of course the speed by shifting the belt into another pully
guide.  So, there might be a protective door, and look just like the mount,
and case.  Did you just buy it without instructions, or a manual?  If the
thing has it's own tracking guide for a cutting tool, and can make screws,
then you change speed enough, but if it was designed for wood, you're
insane, or should get a stepping motor, or one with gears.  A wood lathe
would burn your fingers wouldn't it?  If you could make a wood lathe produce
even coils, at that rate, you're amazing.  After all a wood lathe only runs
at 1, or 2 thousand rpm.

    If you are using a wood lathe, you might try using a Penn fishing reel,
and set the drag on low, even though you will need a big one, like you would
find for Sword Fishing.  Then you could use nylon eyes on the pole to
stablize the position of the wire so that all you'll really need is a good
leather glove, or a baseball mit.

James.