[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need Help.

    Don't touch your coil, but if you can get some high voltage rectifier
tubes you could very easily build a bridge rectifier that you could rely on,
and then you could use V/I from the output of the neon transformer to find
the output impeadance after the retifier, or at present for the AC value.
Then you would need to find the average voltage, and current output using
2(Vpeak)/pi = Vave, defined as the average voltage, then you work the
equation for impedance.  It's not a true AC output to the Tesla coil using
the rectifier, but when you replace R in the equation F = R(C)(2)(pi) you
can equate the frequency of the spark gaps output by multiplying that value
of Capacitance by five.  Reversing the equation gives you the value of
capacitance that you'll need. So, since you have R which is equal to the
impedance of the output of the neon transformer, the Frequency=F, and the
constant pi, you can reverse the order of the equation.  Therefore, C = ((F
the desired frequency)/2(pi)R).

    In typical circuits a capacitor only charges to 1/5th of the maximum
voltage.  So, the time that a capactitor would require to discharge an arc
is 5 times longer, so when finding the value of Capacitance you would need
for this circuit using the equation above you would need to then Divide it's
calculated value by 5 to be discharging through the spark at your peak
voltage.  You would need to work all of the equations to check if your not
using something else that's automated.  You would need something for
calculating a spark gap using capacitors specifically, not just the coil's
resonant frequency..

James.

.