[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

wether or not to mess with repotting NSTs

Today, me and ramsey got 20 NSTs from a local distributor.  So far I've
tested 11 and 6 have worked well enough to create a spark (1/4" for 9Kv,
3/8 for 12 or 15 Kv)  When I was talking to the guy there, he said that
many NSTs were returned just at the point were they could no longer
start a neon sign.  Should I bother to mess with these?  They'll
probally get worse, but I don't know.  Also, all of these have had the
labels removed, so I don't know what there rated at.  What are som good
techniques for mesureing the out put?  They came in three sizes.  The
smallest were the same size as all the 9Kv 30 ma units I've seen, the
medium size were around the same size as all the 15 Kv 30ma units I've
seen, and the largest ones came in even larger boxes.  Would a 15 Kv
60ma NST have a larger case than a 30ma NST?
   i also have 4 small black boxes.  He said they produced HV without a
transformer, so I'm assuming there voltage multipliers(with HV diods I
want to get my mits on)  Would the heat neccesary melt the tar damage
the diodes.  Or should I freeze it or dissolve it with gassoline.

Chris, via the inter-thingy