[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT?

At 02:48 AM 11/26/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <terryf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>>From: Marco Denicolai-at-MARTIS on 23.11.98 09:10
>>
>>To make a long story brief, I'll just tell you that the High Voltage
>>Institute of Helsinki (part of the Helsinki University of Technology) is
>>interested in Tesla Coils.

They created APLAC didn't they? Too bad the student version is so crippled.
I could use a microwave FDTD simulator.

>>My questions are:
>>
>>1. What is still not understood about Tesla Coils and what would be worth
>>investigating about?

2ndary arc dynamics. For display coils, what is the optimum RF impulse
envelope application rate for the 10KHz to 1MHz, to optimize arc length.
What forces and fields lead to arc kinking, and how can they be directed?

>1.	Self capacitance - What is it?  What is the field distribution?  What
>are the time varying fields involved?  How does this interact with the top
>terminal?

So you would like to see a field solver movie of an arc forming and growing?
How about linking a field solver model of the growing arc-terminal to a
spice model of the 2ndry-terminal LC. Then account for the changing
chemistry as air burns to ozone & NO-xides.

>3.	Spark gaps -
>We know mulitgaps
>help quenching and give better output.  However, there is a point where too
>many gaps eat so much power that the benefits of first notch quenching are
>lost to gap losses.

How about a multi-dimensional parametric optimization program for spark gap,
inductor and arc. For a given power level, physical wire length and gauge,
primary capacitance, secondary terminal, and insulation system, find the
optimum inductor geometry, inductance, coupling and spark gap. Make'em work
for that sheep-skin :)
Ask the optimization question, which answer is "the longest arc for the
available parts and energy".

>5.	Human factors - Do taking arcs to the arm (or head :-)) hurt us??  For
>many years we thought not.  However, now-a-days we avoid them like the
>plague.  The recent posts on this are very interesting and suggest that
>arcs are not at all good for us.

This is well studied. It might be more interesting to study personality
types and psychological profiles. Are coiler's simply geeks, enamoured by
the aesthestics of a well engineered energy system? Are we compensating for
inferiority, insecurity and lack of control by striving to master
mega-joules of destructive energy?  Or are we just thrill-seeking pyro's in
search of a bigger bang?!?! Bwahahahahaha ;-)

>6.	Many other areas too.  Go to where your heart and interests lead you...

They keep the plutonium too well guarded :(