[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flyback Coil system

Hello Michael,

I built one of these a few months ago using the exact same
circuit you describe below.  Its a little neat gem, fun to
experiement with.

> So I build the (in)famous 3055 based flyback driver, and it works just
> fine - getting 3/4" solid arc (corona out to about 1"). The problem
> is that the 3055s are getting *HOT* as is the 3A bridge that is feeding
> the circut. I am hoping that there is some error in design. (if not,
> I already have good sized heatsinks on the 3055s, I'll just add a fan
> to the mix.)

Same here,  for a time, I was certain not to run it too long
since it was in a small plastic box.  I have .750" heat
sinks on it.  Left it on by accident for about 15 mintutes
once and everyting is still fine.  I plan to add a small CPU
fan to it if I use it much more.

> In addition to a request to check the below circut, some questions:
> Should this be able to turn a standard bulb into a 'Plasma globe',
> or is this too low a power?

I have experimented with several lights to build a plasma
globe  I thing there might be too much current for a regular
light bulb.  I have cracked the glass more than one.  So
just be careful.

> Should it be holding a charge after power off (I get little snaps and
> sparks for bit.)

I haven't noticed.

There's my nickles worth.

Keith