[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnifiers;RF X-former HV hold off

Hi All,

    As you may know I am building my next magnifier system.  Now I am
getting ready to wind the secondary of the RF transformer.  I figured on
using #14 gauge on a 24" od polyethylene 55 gal drum.  The number of turns
should be appx. 150.  With my caps the primary will probably tap out at 4
turn.  This is a turns ratio of 37.5:1, and my pig is going to give me 14.4
KV.  That means the output of the RF transformer will be feeding the
resonator at 540 KV.  Take that and divide it by the # of RF transformer
secondary turns and you get 3.6 KV per turn.  Short of spacing the turns
with fishing line, what should I do?
    I bought Richard Hull's tape on "Magnifiers II" and he seemed to have a
very similar RF transformer design and power feed as I, but he clearly
didn't have any problems with this turn to turn HV potential arc problem.
It has been my experience that 1 KV / turn is about the max for magnet
wire, and Richard used common THHN stranded #14 "Household" wire.
    Am I worrying for nothing because the voltage will drop when the
resonator is excited.  With my current magnifier the RF transformer was
designed to take the full voltage and was done by having lower input
voltage and as smaller turns ratio.

Please help me see what is staring me in the face.

Thank you for your patients
Dwight