[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Transformers, Wattage and some

Reinhard, my opinions; (based on theory, NOT experience)

For resonant charging the capacitor for the 7.5kV/100mA NST would be
four times the value of the capacitor for the 15kV/50mA NST, so the
primary inductor for the 7.5kV NST would require half the number of
turns
that the 15kV NST would (for similar geometries), so with identical
secondaries the theoretical secondary voltages/currents would be
identical (half the volts/half the turns=same volts/turn)
But I'd expect the lower voltage/higher current system would lose
slightly
more power in the spark gap(s).

Due to the inherent current limiting (or equivalent LARGE series
inductance)
of the NST's I'd say no problem at all, even if the output voltages are
not
identical, say within 10%. My only consideration would be the total
current
drawn from the a.c. mains.

My 2cents worth ... Sulaiman