[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More HBT info for Doug

I bought a 100' spool of 10-gauge a little while ago. Problem is, unless I
have a
LOT of secondary windings to go with it, the inductance will be really low and
it'll waste a huge amount of energy in hysteresis losses. I'm going to try
to put
as many secondary windings on as I can, maybe 6400 or 10000 if I'm lucky
and can
rip open some unused transformers.

Another question: if I were to put in an external inductive current
limiter, would
that be a big power loss (as in would I be losing a large fraction of the
power I
put in to the limiter, rather than my coil)? Is a variac a better way to go
(if
current starts to get too high, turn down the voltage), or is doing
something like
that unsafe?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: RWB355-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
>  Question: what do you mean by "shunted" and "non shunted"?
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> The difference between a shunted and a non shunted tranny is very simple.
The
> non shunted just has a simple iron core. Usually they are a mix of Eīs and
> Iīs, altho there are different shapes out there. My xformer core (I plan to
> use for my HBT) is made of two Eīs, one being backward. One outer leg of
each
> E is shorter and the middle leg is cut at an angle, so they fit nicely front
> to front to form the core. The lamination of the core (instead of just a
chunk
> of iron) reduce the eddy current losses in the core (considerably).
>
> A shunted xformer has a set of laminations inserted 90° to the real core.
This
> limits the magnetic flux that can pass through the core, limiting the max
> current. If you short one of these transformers the voltage breaks down and
> the current can only go as high as the shunt (90° lams) allows it to go.
This
> transformer can be shorted all day and night without harm. The reason NSTīs
> are limited in this manner is very easy to explain. The neon tube has a
> positiv U/I curve. This means the more volts you put put in, the higher the
> current will go. If the NST werenīt current limited either the tube or the
> tranny would go up in smoke. The neon tube only needs the 15000 volts to
> ionize the gas, so that it can start to conduct. After that the NSTīs
voltage
> breaks down to about 600-1kV.
>
> Get the "real" (iron core) NST before they die out and start to get really
> expensive.
>
> For this reason newer signs are starting to use a semiconductor xformer.
They

--
           --Mr. Postman (Doug Brunner)
                <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>