[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Question

Reinhard,
Oops! I screwed up my calculation below. My appologies. I didn't get the
dielectric of 42mils correct. After redoing the math with the correct
numbers, I
did get the equivalent of 19.8nF, near what you originally calculated. I
also put
in the wrong numbers on my other post on the Java calculator because I was
using
input values from my previous post below. The Java calculator when given the
correct input values also came up with 19.8nF. So, ignore my previous post,
it's
all messed up, however, the formula .224 * k * A / d * N is correct for your
rolled cap. You should also come up with 19.8nF on a calculator using this
formula.

Well, now I understand a little of why your scratching your head on your
measured
value. If your meter is measuring correctly, I would have to say that the
problem
has got to be the dielectric spacing between plates. You did use 24 sheets at
1.75mils ea. I have to believe that the actual combined dielectric
thickness of
42mils is way off. If you run the math backwards to find the dielectric
thickness
from your measured value of 10.5nF, the dielectric thickness ends up at about
80mils, almost double the thickness of what your think is in there. You didn't
happen to measure 24 plys of poly before you rolled it up did you?

My mumble appologies for the previous numbers,
Bart