[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

power output??

I have two 1.5 kw 70:1 transformers running off of 120 and pulling about 30
amps.  I use saltwater capacitors and a static gap with about 15 or so
breaks with 1" diameter pipe.  My secondary has 800 turns around a 3" piece
of pvc and stands about 2.5 ft tall.  The primary is a flat pancake type
with about 10 to 12 turns.  I am getting controlled arcs at 15" and 20 to
24"  streamers.  All of the coils that I have seen on the internet running
this kind of power have twice or more the legnth of the arcs that I am
getting.  What is possibly causing it to lose power?  Is it the gap?  Could
the two transformers be putting too much of an inductive load on the mains
making the pf go down?  Need help from experienced coiler.

Thanks,
Brian Helms(KD4RLD)