[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is high coil frequency a bad thing?

Hi Doug,

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> I'm redoing the math for my coil, and it looks like one of the best
> options (in terms of wire availability and spark breakout) would involve
> running at a fairly high frequency (440 kHz or so). Would that tend to
> diminish performance relative to operating around 100 kHz?

Go as low as you can afford is a good idea. A lot has to do with
getting a high surge impedance in the primary. This can affect
performance significantly - i.e. suppose you have some capacitor you
wish to use, then increasing primary inductance while also increasing
primary copper cross sectional area is going to be better. Key
equation:  Xp = SQRT(Lp/Cp)/Rp  where Rp is effective series
resistance of the primary circuit.

Malcolm