[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Applied?, and further wiring tricks..

 Original Poster: "Coiler" <mycroft-at-access1-dot-net>

Hi Michael,

 First: To those that told me resistive ballasting sucks, and I really need
        inductive ballasting, you were right.. hoo boy were you right!
 	 Using the same neons that I used to use to power the system as ballast
SNIP

Comment: Good that we (or you, actually) convinced you.

 Second: Query on power usage:
 I am installing a 30A/220 circut to feed my pig. I intend to bring the power
to my control box in such a way as I can get some 110V for the control
transformers for the dead-man, etc. Therefore I intend to use 110-0-110 with
30A breakers on each leg. This got  me thinking (dangerous I know) - Could I
use a 110V neon or MOT on each side of the pig, with the neutral on the CT?
Thus each limiter would only have to handle approximately 3.5KVA max? At 110
Volts no less, far easier to find.  But
 the pig would see 7KVA? Or am I wrong, and that wiring of 30A dual breaker
actually delivers twice the power I think it does?

Okay, First of all you can get 110v from one Live (phase)  to N. Your control
equipment isnīt going to drawing more than an amp or so. Where you place your
limiters doesnīt make a difference. Your mains only see the total load, not
where you place it (as long as you donīt use N as a pig connection) You could
place a limiter in each Live leg or all in one leg. However, if you run the
pig on 240 volts input, you donīt need to use N (for your pig power or your
limiter devices) You can series two 110 volts inducters (MOTīs, NSTīs,
welders, you name it, use it). As long as 7 KVA can pass thru your limiters
(w/o the pig connected: i.e shorted out) your pig will draw a maximum of 7KVA
( in a full short on its secondary) However if your single limiter can only
handle (read more wonīt flow) 3.75 kVA, putting two in series (each leg of the
pig) will half the current, so in your case you would have to parallel your
3.75 KVA limiters for a total of 7KVA. Which realley means you would need 4 x
3.75KVA limiters ( two in series for 240 and two sets of two for 7KVA in
parallel) It would be easier to use a single 240volt welder as a current
limiter.

As to your question about the 30A per leg circuit breakers I would like to
know, too. If you go from Live to N you can definitely only pull 30A per leg
before the breakers pop. But going from L1 to L2 (240 volts) I donīt know. I
would suppose you could pull 60 A as the current is phased apart at 120° but
Iīm not sure. Letīs see what the other guys say.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard