[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My First PIG and it's operation

Hi Dwight,
            To answer one of your questions:

> Original Poster: dwight duncan <duncand-at-ccsalpha2.nrl.navy.mil>
>

> Hi All,
<snip>
>     If anyone could answer these questions I would be very grateful.
> 1) Why only 10 mH with 130 turns on a 40 amp variac gapped core?

Gapping a core will drop the induction factor (permeability of the
core) enormously. Most of the flux in a gapped core ends up in the
airgap and not the iron. The rationale for gapping in the first place
is to reduce core flux for a given applied magnetizing force. It also
turns the inductor into an efficient energy store. Ungapped cores
store little energy which is what you want in an ideal transformer.

Malcolm
<snip>