[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: My First PIG and it's operation

Dwight wrote:

>    This past Friday I received my first PIG.  Its a beautiful 5KVA and
>14.4 KV output with an external adjustable tapp.  First I went out and
>bought 10 gauge "Romex" household wire and started winding my
>ballast.  I put 130 turns around a 40 amp variac core with a 1/16"
>gap through the core.  I was only able to get 10 mH out of it and a
>resistance of 4 ohms.

The 4 ohms part doesn't sound right.  #10 copper is pretty thick.  My
databook specs that wire at 9.75e-4 ohms/ft.  If each turn required
about a foot of wire, then you've used ~130 feet, which should measure
about 130 * 9.75e-4 = 0.127 ohms.

<SNIP>

>	If anyone could answer these questions I would be very
>grateful.
>1) Why only 10 mH with 130 turns on a 40 amp variac gapped core?

Gapping the core will decrease the saturation at a particular current,
or another way to say it is that it will increase the max current level
allowable prior to saturation.  However, gapping the core will also
*reduce* the overall inductance.  Perhaps this is why your measured
inductance is rather low?

Sorry - I can't answer your other question about maggies. :)

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160