[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Experiments and more ?????

Reinhard, All,
I re-rolled using .0015" poly (2 sheets for total of .003, measured) and 18" x
22" aluminum foil. This was a quick test and kept roll as tight as I could,
but
it was a really quick throw together. I didn't measure it flat as it was a too
large flat to truly get something to flatten it. So I rolled it up on an old
broom stick (minus the broom).

It measured 102.7nF. I went to the computer and the calculated value was
118nF,
much more realistic than yesterdays post. If I would have taken a little more
time to get the roll tighter, I'm suspect I would have hit very near the 118nF
mark.

So I unrolled it and this time used only one sheet between plates (.0015") and
smaller plates sizes (6.5" x 18"). This was a very tight role. I measured
55.2nF
and calculated 64.7nF. Since this was similar to the above test, I back
calculated K. K of 1.7 would match this as well as the above test. The poly
I'm
using probably has a k of 1.7 (maybe a little higher since this is a dry roll
test).

So Reinhard, my experiment in parallel with yours supports your findings
for the
most part. The garbage bag from my test yesterday was milk white and stated on
the bag as polyethylene. I don't was pure LDPE. Probably poly + other. K was
definitely NOT near 2.

My conclusion is that it's probably more the polyethylene purity vs. the
thickness as the poly.
Since both my test were calculated and measured at 3mils and 1.5mils
resulting in
nearly identical ratio's of K at 1.7. Also Reinhard, your first poly test was
nearly identical to my 1.5mil test here, and you were only able to achieve
~10nF
compared to my 55.2nF. It's got to be the poly.

Bart