[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toroid = shorted turn ?

Has anyone used a "non-shorted toroidally-shaped" top electrode?

Imagine a sheet metal toroid. Now cut it into pie slices (without changing the
position of the metal).

Is should look like a "slinky" spring that has
a-  been shaped  into a toroid
b- been held in that position by a rigid insulator
c- had each turn cut from the next so that there is no continuous turn around
the axis of the TC itself

It would seem that, if the turns of the spring are numerous enough, the
electrical field around the device would be very like the continous toroid and
still avoid the short-circuit effect.

By the way, the bad effects of the short circuited turn are not only the
heating of the electrode -which is likely to big enough to dissipate the heat
by convection without harm-, but the lower efficiency the TC overall would
have because of the energy loss involved, as well as a marked (?-just
guessing) broadening of the resonant peak.  (Of course, this last might help
in the adjusment procedure by making it less critical,  even so,  it goes
against a designer's grain to knowingly do this)

Boy, I wish I had a scanner!! Describing in words what would have been so easy
in a sketch is quite a job...

Federico Price
San Pedro, N.L., Mexico