[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Welder ballasts vs. other types

> snip
<< Steve Cole, a friend of mine in California, had used Variacs for years
> for current control and recently has changed over to using a welder. He
> called me right after he had made the change and operated the system and
> couldn't believe how much smoother the system was and how much more
> range of adjustment he had and how pleased he was that he had made the
> change.

> There are two examples, but it would be interesting and enlightening to
> see more.

> Ed Wingate RATCB

Ed, all,

I know the variacs usually won't work well unless they have a gap cut
into them.  Did your's have a gap, and did Steve Cole's have a gap?
I realize some folks use them without gaps.

I was thinking mostly in terms of other types of ballasts I guess, such
as straight core types, etc.  What I'm really wondering is just how
critical the whole ballasting thing is, and is there some special aspect
to the welder that permits it to run without the resistors.  I agree it
would be interesting to see more examples of various ballast
comparisons.

John Freau