[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

leaking lexan, was: Stats of my new capacitor

I've not had this problem, or I should say, not severe problems.
My 2 boxes have leaked, but only from the top seam. My first one
I made the mistake of trying to use cork as a gasket. Leak city. however
the sides have never leaked.
Box 2, I used a channel cut with my dremel tool, and an o-ring. I get some
minor leaking when the oil gets sloshed around, but that is all. Again
this is from the top seal only (where I attach via #10 screws, so I can
open and repair when it becomes needed)

My technique was to use:
1) #16 Cement. This is a jellied form of Methelyne Chloride.
2) All mating surfaces were machined.
3) After the #16 had fully cured, I ran a bead of RTV along all
   inside seams.

This is similar to what is done for fish tanks.

As I said, the only leaks are from the bolt on lid, and through my
connections (which I forgot to put washers on :/)

As long as I don't slosh, no leaks.

As for pulling a vacuum on a large box? I don't recommend it.
I've done it on my boxes, but I just used a household vacuum cleaner.
This is maybe 18" WC? Not strong, but enough to bubble out a lot.

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net