[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quik Question..

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: mel wise <mwise44-at-flash-dot-net>
>
> I have a quick and simple question I want to ask, heres goes.
> I am running a 6" coil powered by a 12kv-at-90ma neon and using a .007
> ufd plate capacitor. I am currently getting between 2-3 foot sparks.
> If I almost triple my cap size to a .02 ufd, would I expect to see a
> dramatic improvement in spark length or in spark output power or both?
>
> Thanks
> -Chris

Chris,

Assuming that you're running at 60 Hz mains frequency, going to a .02 uF
tank cap should get you close to 60 Hz resonance between the tank cap
and the leakage inductance of the NST's. This should increase the
charging current to your tank cap. The larger tank cap will also triple
the energy avaiable (teh "bang size") each time the gap fires. The
combination should provide you with a very dramatic improvement in coil
performance. Because you'll be running close to mains resonance, don't
open your main gaps too widely, and don't use excessive run-times, since
your transformers will be working much harder.

-- Bert --