[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: UK Neon Sign Transformers

Reinhard and all,

Don't give up on MOTs!

<SNIP>

> My testing has also shown me that MOTīs are not suitable for TC work. In
order
> to protect seriesīd MOTs (if you can find ones that will stand up to
> seriesing) you need a safety gap across EACH MOT and run them under oil.
> single safety gap across all MOTs will NOT (NO!) protect them. I speak
from
> experince. A MOT (or two) would be intersting for a toob TC,tho. But for
our
> DWC coils they arenīt worth a darn.
>
> Coiler greets from germany,
> Reinhard

 I agree MOTs in series are asking for trouble due to voltage stresses.
However, MOTs can still be a good power source for TCs IF you use DC.
Consider two MOTs with their grounded cores tied together.  Each MOT drives
a half wave voltage doubler of opposite polarity.  You end up with 9 to 11
KV DC at a couple KW between the outputs of the two doublers.  You have to
use care with the rest of the primary circuit as both outputs are plus and
minus about 5 KV with respect to ground.  Doublers can be microwave oven
diodes and caps--you will need to dismantle a bunch of salvaged ovens to
get enough parts.  (Talk to a thrift store about getting bad ovens--usually
the HV parts are still OK.)  The composite output caps will have to be 4 in
series/parallel to withstand the about 5 kv across them.  My supply uses 4
diodes and 10 caps total.

Convert to D. C.,

Steve Young