[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Coil (No tank circuit or Cap's required)

I've been preparing to move my coil outside. Tonight I finished up a
splice on 100' of 140Kv X-ray cable. Since the cable is shielded it has
capacitance. As a matter of fact 100' of cable has about .007 uF. I had
to test the insulation anyway so I connected the cable to a 15Kv neon.
One live side was connected to the shielding and the other to the
conductor. The cable passed the test. I wanted to see if I could drive a
coil this way. I disconnected the tank circuit and connected the cable
directly to the gap and the primary. I had to retune the coil but that
was no surprise. It actually worked. I got 6" sparks. No tank circuit
caps, only the x-ray cable a neon and the gap.

paul m.