[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ballasting ..... Again

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>
>
> <snip>
>
> I also noted with *great interest* the comments suggesting no difference in
> performance with slotted vs non-slotted cores - obviously not having to cut
> the core would save a lot of effort.
>
> I want to GET THIS RIGHT .......... having spent many hours winding this
> toy, I don't want to see it go up in smoke !!
>
> Thoughts, advice etc welcomed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> Tesla Page <http://www.cobweb-dot-com.au/~dkfinnis>

Mark,
I cut the core in my variac which I'm running in my pig circuit. The variac is
big, but it wasn't big enough to leave it in tact. Naturally, smaller variacs
saturate with less current than larger variacs capable of larger currents.
It's
a matter of size and system. My variac is 30A. If I had a 40A or larger, I
would consider using it as is for my particular system. The 30A variac works
just fine and I run it at about 50 to 60%. I've read others who also run at
about this point (probably a reason for that, eh?). In either case, use a 0.2
to 0.5ohm resisistance in series or even some series/parallel combo's to
smooth
out the beat. Also, be aware of the variac heating up after and during runs.
They can get hot..
Bart