[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sparks in Georgia

In a message dated 10/24/98 7:16:57 PM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Now using Sodium Hydroxide for electrolyte in SW caps, for a 50
>  % improvement.  About 17 nF total in seven glass gallon cider jugs.
>  According to the CRC Handbook, thats the most conductive electrolyte short
>  of using acid.
Will,
   If you are using a strong concentration of caustic, it will eventually
attack the surface of the glass.  I am not suggesting that you not use it,
just don't be surprised if it begins to look frosted.  It could slightly alter
the capacitance or conductance of the electrolyte in the bottles as well.  I
have no idea what effect silica would have on the solution conductivity.  I
certainly wouldn't worry about it, just thought I'd mention this.
Mike