[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: info wanted

Hi Sam, all,
             Sorry to hear about how difficult coiling is on certain
parts of the European continent :(  I have two suggestions that might
make things more tolerable:

- You should be able to use a NST without cooking it voltage-wise by
accepting lower than optimum primary energy. Choose the highest
voltage transformer you can get and make a dry fired cap to match it
but run it with the gap considerably closer than the peak voltage the
transformer can generate. You'll be trading off peak primary energy
for more BPS but perhaps with lower risk to the transformer. What do
others think about this?  I know it is hardly ten foot territory but
I guess one has to make do with what one has.

- Go DC and build a stepup switching power supply. All it takes are
old TV flyback cores, not very much wire, some suitable plastic for
interlayer insulation and some beefy transistors/FETs along with one
of the standard SMPS control ICs. I'd be happy to help offlist with
design procedures.

Again, sorry to hear about the problems.
Malcolm

<snip>