[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fine Tuning a Spark Gap

In a message dated 10/30/98 1:43:08 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  But if performance
>  decreases
>  with copper standoffs, I would have to suspect the aluminum itself is
>  playing a
>  role which copper cannot and then, is it due to RF frequency effects on the
>  aluminum regardless of how small this effect may be.

Bart, all,
This is originally what I was hoping to learn from this thread.   I argued
that aluminum works well as a TC primary, but was hoping that someone could
explain why an aluminum gap would work better than copper or other material.
I have two, one inch aluminum spheres that were used for corona suppression on
a high voltage transformer's output connections, but never tried them as a TC
gap.  It seemed like the pitting would be severe and they wouldn't last long,
but now may have to try them out.
Mike