[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re. Many dry caps in series

If I may respond to my own post regarding spot-welding of aluminum foil
on a 20 unit, series connected, dry flat plate cap:

I just visited a local welding shop and brought a sample stack of 68
sheets of standard 0.75 mil aluminum foil, plus a small bit of aluminum
flashing folded over the edge of the foil sheets.  They tried
spot-welding the stack, both with and without the flashing, but it
wouldn't weld.  I guess that with steel, it has a much higher resistance
and heats up better, but the aluminum just sparked.

Looks like I'll have to drill the foil stacks after assembly for either
sheet metal screws or pop rivets.  For a 20 cap stack, that's a lot of
holes.  Dang, if only "tin foil" really were made of tin!

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA