[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil specs:

In a message dated 10/30/98 11:35:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 If anyone knows any areas of improvement on my coil, so I can get the
 max out of it, please let me know.
 SPECS:
 TRANSFORMER: 12KV-at-90ma modified neon
 CAPACITOR: .01 plate type (.1" plexiglass/aluminum flashing)
 SPARK GAP: cylinder type 7=3/4"x2" copper segments (total gap is .2")
 PRIMARY: 13 1/2 turns of #6 solid copper wire, turn to turn spacing is
 ~.375" (inside diameter is 10 1/2", outside diameter is 23 1/4")
 SECONDARY: 6.25" PVC form wound with 22 gauge wire w/ a winding length
 of 19", the lower most winding on the secondary sets 2" above the inner
 turn of the primary
 TOROID: I have two different ones. One is 4" dryer duct w/ a cross
 section of 14", the other is 4" dryer duct w/ a cross section of 20"
 (the 4x20 toroid has a bad tendency of hitting my strike rail alot)
 MISC PARTS: all hookups are with #6 stranded wire suing copper crimp
 connectors (total length of wire used in my tank circuit is 11 1/2', my
 movable tap consists of an alligator clip that is crimped and soldered
 to the tap wire, the ground off of my secondary is made of #6 stranded
 wire, universal earth ground (8ft ground rod)
 PERFORMANCE: The absolute maximum spark I have obtained under favorable
 weather conditions was 37" to ground (this only happened once). My usual
 maximum spark length is 34" to ground. My average spark length is
 26-32". <ALL OF THESE SPARKS WERE W/ THE 4X14 toroid> I have used my
 4x20 toroid only once and was pretty disapointed, It will only strike
 out about 12" before it curves under and hits the strike rail.

 See any room for improvement? I hope so.....

 Chris

Chris,

The system will make the longest sparks with the largest toroid that you can
still cause breakout with.  Do like I do and use both toroids.  Install the
smaller on on the coil.  Then get some roof flashing and cut it so you can
roll it up to make a hollow cylinder (like a stove pipe) either rivet the ends
together or just tape it.  You want it as large as will sit in the smaller
toroid and 12" to 18" high.  Now sit the larger toroid on top of that.  The
smaller toroid will prevent breakout and corona from the top windings of the
secondary and most of the sparks will now leave from the raised top toroid.
Worked for me.

More transformers always help.

Ed Sonderman