[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil specs:

Chris,

Welcome to coiling, Chris!

Some quick suggestions:
1. Go to LDPE dielectric in your capacitor(s) to reduce losses.
Plexiglass is significantly lossier, and will reduce your performance.

2. Increase the tank capacitance to 0.02 uF to increase "bang size"
while matching the current delivery capability of the 12 kV 90 MA
source, and retune the system for best performance.

3. Go to a vacuum gap (either multiple parallel copper pipes or to Gary
Lau's style single-gap vacuum gap) to improve quenching performance.

4. Once you've done the above, consider going to 5" or 6" diameter
ducting to raise breakout voltage. You may also want to increase the
outer diameter of the toroid a bit. Also, try increasing the height of
the toroid above the secondary a bit to reduce toroid:strikerail hits.
Run the system in the dark, and back off if you begin to get abnormal
corona from the top of the secondary winding.

5. Eventually, you may need to use a longer secondary coil and use a
larger diameter wire to reduce secondary losses, and get higher standoff
voltage capability from your secondary. This will also help increase the
physical distance between the toroid and the strikerail, reducing
unwanted "hits".

Safe coilin' to you, Chris!

-- Bert --