[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Argon spark gap

Hi Bill,

At 08:43 PM 9/2/98 PDT, you wrote:

>From: "Bill the arcstarter" <arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>Terry,
> I forgot to ask - what mechanism did you arrive at (if any) to allow
>for the thermal expansion of the gas?

I was going to use a small balloon over one of the fill ports.  If I did
the PV=NRT thing right, a 50C gas temperature would raise the volume about
10%.  The glass plates are mounted with flexible silicon so they can move
with temperature changes as needed.

> I would think that argon, having a relatively large molecular weight,
>would have a low permeability/diffusion rate - so perhaps using a rubber
>sheet on one side of the box would do the trick?

The balloon would provide a little pressure so any leaks would leak outward
and keep the gas pure.  If the balloon goes down, I know it is time to add
more gas or go looking for a leak.

> Does anyone have data on the solubility of argon into liquid water at
>standard temp/pressure?? (another diversion...)

Darn, I just read that in my studies.  It wasn't important to my gap so I
didn't pay attention to it....

	Terry Fritz