[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Any Very High Freq. TCs?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Steven Ivy <adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> I have been looking for a while and I have yet to see any real mention
> of the significance of the overall operating frequency of a TC other
> than it is best to have the primary and secondary resonances tuned to
> the same frequency. I was just wondering if the standard TC topology
> is still useful at very high frequencys like at 1 Mhz or even much
> higher?  In principal I don't see any reason why the whole concept
> should not scale  nicely and produce a perfectly good high performance
> design that would only need to be a small  fraction of the size of the
> ones we usually see. It would be a lot of fun to have half a million
> volts at 1 GHz operating on my kitchen table : ) Is there some
> particular flaw in this scaling idea other than the difficulty in
> producing a spark gap capable of operating at these very high
> frequencys.
>
> Thanks: Steve
> adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com
> Dallas Texas

  Steve,

No scaling possible here.  5KW at 10mhz will give little or no spark
compared to say a 50khz brother coil system!  It will be sucked off in
losses in the air.  The lower the frequency the better.  If you are
running over 500khz, forget really long sparks for your watt-dollar.
Decent spark/watt returns begin around 200khz and below.

Richard Hull, TCBOR