[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Cap Type

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 17:13:58 -0600, you wrote:

>Original Poster: RWB355-at-aol-dot-com
>
>Hello All,
>
> Iīm not sure if I "invented" something new, but I thought I would let you
>know:
>
>My cap design looks somewhat different from the rest of the poly design types
>I have seen. In the process of building and testing different homemade caps I
>found out something very interesting. If you build a poly cap the
conventional
>way you need lots of PE foil in order to prevent your cap from dying a high
>voltage death.
>
>I stack my caps this way: 2 pieces of PE foil start the cap pack and 2 pieces
>end the  cap stack. In between this I alternate aluminium and PE, but I donīt
>interconnect any of the AL plates. I just connect the lower and the upper
>plate of the "cap". My idea behind this is very simple: If you do this, you
>are really connecting multiple caps in series (i.e AL PE AL being one cap).

One possible thing to watch - as you effectively have a string of
series caps, when you discharge the stack, there may be some remaining
charge between some of the internal layers, and when you subsequently
un-short the terminals, you could see some voltage re-appearing some
time later. Probably not dangerous but could be a nasty surprise!
   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/