[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Radar transformers in the UK

Hello to all fellow Tesla-coil builders!

This is my 1st posting to the list, though I've been a subscriber for a
while.

I'm one of the 2 members of the Tesla coil builders of Nottingham. (not
a formal group!)
I've built a few coils ranging from a tiny 3/4" x  4" one that makes 3"
sparks to a 5"  x  22" (secondary) one that makes 50" sparks at 1kW from
a 8kV  120mA NST (at 270V from the variac!)
Anyway, the main reason for this post, is to let the U.K coilers know
that I have been offered 3  8.25kV 250mA Radar transformers, amongst a
quantity of surplus Radar equipment, including Thyratrons, Pulse forming
networks. big caps etc.
I already have 2 of these bruisers connected in series to give 16kv+ and
they are really rugged.
They are from the Radar PSU's and are normal (non shunted) oil filled,
admiralty style 2kVA units.
Being part of a psu for a high power pulse modulator they are rated for
very high voltages above ground, so they are ideal, near
indestructible(?) Tesla-coil power sources.
Now the catch!   They are currently located on the Shetland Isles, where
the Radar station is being decommissioned!
What I'm trying to find out is, if there is sufficient interest in these
units by UK coilers to cover the cost of shipping and palm-greasing
(there's, not mine!) and get them sent to a mutually convenient
location.
I dont want to discuss costs on the list, but I think they would be
reasonably fair.
Please E-mail me direct (not on the list) if your interested in them, or
any other bits.

By the way, I think these trannies need inductive/resistive ballasting
to slug them down a bit (i.e, treat them like pole pigs!)
The first time I connected my two trannies to the coil, I nearly set my
garage on fire!

Cheers,  Martin Dale G6ABU ( on the right side of the Faraday cage!)
       martin.dale-at-ntu.ac.uk