[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MOT saturation tests II

Coilers,
 While the rest of the world was watching baseball on TV, I was out in
the garage chiseling the shunts out of my MOT.  I'm now left with the
main laminations and the primary winding.  The shunts and the secondary
windings are long gone, having fallen to the chisel!

 I then remeasured the current as a function of voltage.  Here are the
new results:

(I added the two rightmost columns)

 V=volts, I=amps, Z=complex ohms
  V   Iold  Zold    Inew  Znew
  50  0.26  192.    0.27  185.
  60  0.31  194.    0.31  193.
  70  0.38  184.    0.38  184.
  80  0.50  100.    0.50  160.
  90  0.73  123.    0.74  121.
 100  1.16   86.2   1.20   83.3
 110  2.14   51.4   2.35   46.8
 120  3.86   31.1   4.41   27.2
 130  5.90   22.0   6.80   19.1

I'm surprised that removing the shunts really didn't do anything to the
behavior of the transformer!  The main difference is a slightly
increased current draw at the higher voltages.

At this point I can only guess that the purpose of the shunts was to
limit the current flowing into the secondary (just like a NST or
welder).  It seems that, as far as using MOTs as current limiting
devices for pigs, the shunts really have little or no effect.

Comments invited!

-Bill