[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMP => PULSED PHONE DESTRUCTION!

Hi Sam,
         Some thoughts FWIW:

> Original Poster: "Sam Barros" <sambarros-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>   Hi, everybody, check this out:
>

>  Yesterday I connected 2 capacitors, rated for 2500V, 1.1uF, in parallel
> to my 2300V, 0.5A microwave oven transformer. I connected their outputs
> to a home made spark gap that consisted of 2 very large steel bolts
> mounted on an insulated metal base. The capacitors take a fraction of a
> second to charge up and their discharge makes an almost continuous arc,
> that sounds like a 747 taking off (that thing is LOUD!!!). They'll melt
> and vaporise anything, and are as bright as an arc welder.
>  Anyway, buy spacing the gap to about 2.5mm, I could get the gap to fire
> only once, when I flipped the switch. It sounded like a rifle going off.
> A LOUD, dry sound, that could be heard echoing away like thunder.
>  Well, to make a long story short (I'll not go into details on how you
> can use this to turn worms into fireworks or explode water and thin
> wire), I got a call from a friend in my cordless phone. In the middle of
> the conversation I said: "Hey, Listen to this!" I put my earmuffs on,
> placed the phone 20cm from the gap (a little more than half a foot
> distance), and fired it dry. There was the loud noise. I took the
> earmuffs off and said: "So, what do you think"? There was no reply. The
> phone was permanently destroyed by electromagnetic pulses that induced
> high currents on its circuits and fried the chips.
>  I must admit that it was quite a stupid experiment, and I knew the
> potential danger of EMP. But I never expected it to be THAT powerful.
>  I found out that if a different phone is moved away to, say 1 or 2
> meters, it will automatically shut down when the gap is fired. At 4/5
> meters it will make static noises and the interference stops at 10
> meters or so.
>  Since Tesla Coils use a circuit very similar to this one (discharging
> large capacitors trough spark gaps), they should have similar effects. I
> have never seeing any mention of this anywhere, but perhaps the
> interference produced by TCs is due to their spark gaps, not the
> secondary. I am sure at least some of it is...Perhaps shielding the
> spark gap with metal would reduce the interference produced by the Coil.
> Has anyone ever tried this???
>  Give me your thoughts on that...
>
>  Sam.
>
>  P.S. You can use solar panels to detect EMP...

There is something of a difference between that and a TC in that the
TC incorporates some highly selective tuned circuits. I did more-or-
less the same thing with a Marx bank once. Although there is some
splatter from the TC discharges and gap discharge, the tuned circuits
seem to save the day to some extent by concentrating energy into a
narrow band or two. I also suspect in my case that a lot of EMP went
to the destroyed equipment via the power supply and mains wiring.
Both of the isolation capacitors in the supply were shorted.

Malcolm