[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: "Oven elements arent cheap"

>Original Poster: "Gregory R. Hunter" <ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net>
>
>I looked at hot water heater elements at "Home Depot" when I was in the USA
>in July.  They were $6.80 each for a 240V / 4500 Watt element.  Lower
>wattage ones were a little cheaper.  Of course, you'd need to submerge them
>in a bucket of water or oil.  My 5KVA pole pig is mostly empty space inside
>(I looked).  When I return to the US, I'm plan to ballast it by putting hot
>water heater elements right inside the upper part of the pig case, and then
>add enough mineral oil to submerge them.  My pig & ballast will be a single
>unit!
>
>Greg

Greg,

Putting heater elements under oil in a sealed container that also has
exposed wires carrying live 14.4kV might not be a great idea.  Think
vaporized mineral oil being ignited in a confined space.   This could be a
bomb in the making, and at the very least it could cause a very nasty oil
fire.  All this is aside from the fact that the oil is there as insulation,
and to keep the windings cool.   Just some considerations.

Zap!

Charles Brush