[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Protection from NST zap

Hi Chris,

  You wrote:

 I know we have probably dwelled on this subject for too long already.
 But I am beginning to get a little spooked by what I have been reading
 in the list about the horror stories involving electric shock.
 So, since I am a beginner, and I am bound to make a stupid
 mistake eventually, I have one specific question about NSTs.  Would
 wearing rubber gloves provide any protection if I do happen to
 mistakenly (and very carelessly) make contact with the ouput terminals?

<SNIP>

I donīt think you can dwell on the subject of safety too long. If the mails on
the tesla list have scared you, GOOD.

We are trying to point out is that you have to use commen sense when working
around high voltage/high current devices. (i.e discharge caps, keep the plug
in your pocket, etc.)
As to your question about the rubber gloves. Forget it. The voltage is high
enough to penetrate thru the thin rubber.

Just use common sense and donīt start to get careless. You want to live
another day to "play" with your high voltage again, donīt you?

If you are planning on building a big TC, I would suggest you build a Faraday
cage or at least an (RF) earthed chicken wire wall and stand behind this, when
you fire up your coil.

coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard