[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What is CW?

Dr B.,
CW stands for Carrier Wave. It indicates a constant oscillation,
such as a continuous sine wave. (The amplitude may change,
but the frequency would be constant). This is the type of
waveform that you would encounter in a tube type Tesla Coil.

The standard Tesla Coil uses the disruptive discharge of a
capacitor, and if you looked at the waveform on an oscilloscope
you would see a train of pulses that comprised short bursts
of oscillation (ringing) at the resonant frequency. This
is pulse mode, as opposed to CW mode.

In CW mode energy is added to the circuit continuously,
in phase with the oscillation of the tank. In pulse mode
the energy is delivered somewhat haphazardly, at varying
intervals, and without regard to phase. In fact, the pulses are
usually delivered only after the previous ringing has ceased.

CW mode is harder to achieve, especially at the higher power
levels. Some persons are interested in using Poulsen-type
CW units to power Tesla Coils. The results would look more
like the output of a Tube Tesla Coil. In other words, the
output would take the form of a fiery brush discharge rather
than the noisey machine-gun type bolts and arcs that most
coilers are familiar with.

Running a TC in CW mode would most likely cause more
radio interference and problems with one's neighbors, too.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee