[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Another way to adjust NST

Okay,  a lot of you didn't think it was possible to increase the output
voltage of a neon, while at the same time decreasing its current -- by
simply using a transformer with high voltage at low current to drive the
neon's primary.  I really don't see why this wouldn't work, the neon
would work as it always does - as a step-up transformer, but I would
just be feeding it with a lower current to begin with.  Like, say, just
using an isolation transformer of some sort to supply the neon with the
110 volts it needs, but at a lower amperage.
     In any case, this is plan B:  Using a transformer that supplies 110
volts, but at low current, thereby theoretically causing the neon to
still step up the voltage, but at a much lower output current than it
normally has.  (Nevermind what I'm using to drive the first transformer,
it's a very strange and "Twilight Zone" sort of arrangement of a whole
set of transformers.  The voltage is successively stepped up to the 110,
but current is reduced each time.)
Think this wacky (or not very wacky) idea may work, allowing me to have
a high voltage AC supply, but at a lower "safe" current?
Chris T.