[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ignition coil

>Thanks for writing back.  Using an ignition coil sounds like a good
>idea, but what kind of power source are you using to drive the coil?
>Chris T.

 The coil driver consists of 1 20W resistance, a diode, 2 capacitors a
neon light, a SCR a small resistance and a variable resinstance. It
takes in 220V (by changing the SCR and the resistance you can make it
110) and limits it to 20W using the resistance. The first cap is charged
trough the neon lamp and when the voltage reaches 80V it triggers the
SCR, applying all the charge from the other cap bank (this one rated
400V 3uF) onto the 2 ignition coils. They develop up to 40kV each and
60KV relatice to each other.
 The circuit took me less than one hour to build and cost about 20
dolars. It all fits inside a little box (much smaller than a NST) and
you can tap either coil or both for power...
 There are easier circuits though.. And mine puts out pulses of 60KV+.
 For some really good and simple high voltage circuits, check out
http://www.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/~kronjaeg/hv/
 It doesn't have my design (that's why I call it mine), but it has some
good one such as the light dimmer running a coil at 60HZ or the flyback
driver... It also has some nice links...
 For more info on my circuit, mail me privately...

 SAM.