[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Liquid polymer dielectric?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Steven Ivy <adder_black_the-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
> I light of all the discussions on various dielectrics and methods of
> making our own capacitors I have noted the following things
> 1)liquid dielectrics are superior primarily due to their greater
> surface area. and ability to "heal" after an accidental ESD puncture.
> 2) Plastics are superior due to their inherently greater dilectric
> constant and associated increased charge per unit volume.

Not necessarily true. Most plastics have dielectric constant around 2 or
3. Castor oil and askarels (PCB's) are in the 4-6 range, for instance.

> With these properties in mind it seems that a capacitor made from a
> couple of nested metal containers and seperated by some sort of un-cured
> polymer or other such "plastic liquid ?" ought to have a lot of good
> propertys. Any suggestions for materials?

Most "uncured" polymers will cure by themselves over time, particularly
if heated. The catalyst or hardener you add just accelerates the
process.

> I was just curious. Do any of you have any experience making this sort
> of a cap or know why it might or might not be a good idea.

Try it and see....

Most liquid plastics (in small quantities) are also more expensive than
oil.