[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Transformer build up

Hi all!

> The real problem with a cascaded MOT scheme is the insulation for the
> second transformer in the cascade. (I assume here that you are hooking
> the primaries in parallel and the secondaries in series?) The core will
> be sitting at several kV, and the insulation from the primary to the
> core may not be designed to take that much load. You might check what
> the HiPot test voltage on a typical MOT is. It is probably in the few kV
> range, if they even HiPot test them (i'll bet they do, to meet UL or
> CSA). Then, for short impulses anyway, the insulation will hold up.

Ok, here are the specifications of my MOTs

Rated primary voltage        230V
Rated frequency              50 Hz
Resonant capacitor           0.998uF
Raten oven power             600W
Insulation class             H

No load wattage loss         80W Max
No load current              4A Max
No load sec. voltage         2020V +- 50V
No load filament voltage     3.3V +- 0.1V
Temperature rise             (Wire) 140 °C

Insulation resistance        100 Megaohms min 500V DC
Dielectric withstand voltage P-Core 1.5kV 1 min
                             F-Core 7.5kV 1 min
                             F-P    7.5kV 1 min

BTW I'm using my two MOTs with a voltage doubler, so I don't have to worry
about
insulation voltage.

hope this helps,
 Stefan