[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT Voltage Doubler

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Mike Nolley <mnolley-at-mail.slc.edu>
>
> 	It doesn't double the current-- no.. but it does double the voltage.  In
> the first half cycle the source charges the capacitor through the diode
> (correct me if I'm wrong) and in the second half cycle the capacitor
> discharges in conjunction with the source current, effectively doubling the
> voltage.  I'm not sure why this doesn't produce a pulsed effect-- perhaps
> someone could enlighten me (us?) about the finer points?
> 		-MIke

That's because it does! (Produce pulses) Ideally, a circuit like this
would continue with another diode from the existing high (-) side of the
diode, to another cap, to ground. Thie second cap would charge on the
high pulses, to nearly twice the peak output of the transformer.

In the diagram below, the magnetron's cathode would connect to (1),
the anode to Common, and everything to the right of (1) would be left
out. The maggie doesn't need filtered DC!

                         (1)

Dave