[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil toroid Size

to: Russ

The acoustic "bang" is caused by the rapid heating of the air which creates
a sonic shock wave similar to that created when a plane exceeds the speed
of sound.  The shock wave creates the acoustic signal which is actually
very crisp (similar to ripping paper) in nature and decays and is
"filtered" due to acoustic attenuation as it travels through the moisture
laden atmosphere.  For further reading -- Lightning by Marty Uman.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: RE: Tesla Coil toroid Size
> Date: Monday, September 21, 1998 6:22 PM
>
> Original Poster: "Thornton, Russ #CSR2000" <ThorntoR-at-rc.pafb.af.mil>
>
> Robert,
> Accepting the offer to nit-pick may I offer the following comparison.
> Assuming that there may be some translative value here, we radar types on
> the Eastern Range affectionately call our pulses "bangs".  Although,
there
> is no official definition, it is understood to be the entire pulse from
rise
> to fall. Now the fact that they are in the order of microseconds may have
> some bearing on why we don't distinguish the full bang from just the rise
as
> acoustically it's barely even a click. :^)
> Now,  I am far from an acoustics expert myself, but if we took a more
> related event, lightning.  Does the acoustic bang come from the arc
forming
> or from it collapsing.  Everything I have read is that the collapsing arc
is
> what makes the thunder(bang).
>

> Russ Thornton
> Sr. Radar Systems Engineer