[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does it work at all

I'm glad someone finally brought up Nikola Tesla.  The subject of his
coil is discussed routinely here, but very little is said about the man
who created it.
    It's a sad fact that N. Tesla is rarely remembered in any
encyclopedias, text books, or history lessons.  Thomas Edison continues
to be honored for his work (whatever inventions he did not steal from
others, that is) but the truth is that every transformer and utility
pole is a tribute to Tesla, because he was the only one pushing for
alternating current at the time.  I have read that a statue of Tesla at
the Niagra Falls Power Station is intentionally left unilluminated, as a
dedication to this wonderful inventor and pioneer who the world has
forgotten.
    So, in my own humble little dedication to the inventor who created
the amazing device we have the joy of playing with, I would say....Why
does it work at all?....Because someone over 100 years ago dared to
dream, and laid down all the groundwork for us.  Too bad there aren't
more imaginative people like that around these days.

Chris T.